Most desktop PCs don’t come with a microphone. Although most laptops come with an inbuilt microphone, most of the time they are not up to the user’s desires. Are you looking for the best microphones for computers microphone? Perhaps they are various factors you need to consider before purchasing one. We have done everything for you.
The most common computer microphone uses are vlogging, group calls, voice-overs, podcasting, gaming, and streaming. Computer microphones tend to be expensive and it mostly depends on the buyer’s intended use and budget. However, we are highlighting our most recommendable picks for general uses.
Our Top Pick: Best Microphone for Computer- Blue Yeti
After hours and hours of research and testing, we found the very best microphone for the computer to be the Blue Yeti. It comes with some exclusive tri-capsule technology that was found to delivers high-quality sound in different environments. It’s well designed for various functions from podcasting, webinars, Skype calls, voiceovers, gaming, streaming, YouTube videos and much more. These are possible due to its 4 pickup patterns. It is compatible with the latest version of Windows and Mac OS. Read our full review below. You can check its current price on Amazon.
Considerations Made When Choosing Computer Microphones
- The Audio interface – whether one prefers the analog (3.5 mm audio input jack) or USB type of microphone depending on their PC. The jack is more flexible since it allows one to add audio processing equipment (such as a pre-amp) between the PC and the microphone. For USB microphones it is highly advisable to go for the ones with pre-amps for quality sound processing as it is almost impossible to add one in between.
- The Intended Use –If the microphone is to be used by more than one person at the same time, then it would be ideal to go for a desktop mic (having a stand). A good example is the Blue Yeti mic.
- Foldability – Some microphones can fold (such as the Samson Meteor) making them easy to carry around which is very essential for such people as travel vloggers.
- Computer’s Operating System – The majority of the microphones are compatible with both Mac OS and Windows without any drivers being installed. However, it is highly recommended to confirm compatibility before acquiring one.
- Pattern Modes – Some microphones provide several distinct pattern modes which enable to select the direction of the sound to be captured. For example, Blue Yeti’s Cardioid mode only records the sound that is directly in front of the mic which delivers full-bodied rich sound free from the surrounding noise. This is ideal for podcasting, voiceovers, music recording, and instruments. It also has 3 other modes which include omnidirectional which records sound from all the directions.
- Condenser or Dynamic – A condenser mic uses a capacitor to convert acoustic signals into electrical energy. These are the most common and most ideal microphones for studio recordings. If one is purely recording such instruments as drums or live settings, then they might consider going for a dynamic microphone such as Shure SM58-LC Mic.
Best Microphones for Computers
Based on our research, the microphones outlined below are efficient and suitable for various uses on your computer. Microphone quality typically increases with price, so it is important for a buyer to know that for the most part, your budget will affect how well you will sound. The following are top-ranked microphones for computers.
- Blue Yeti –All Round Microphone with 4 Modes
Blue Yeti will create unparalleled recordings with your computer. Thanks to the Blue Company’s exclusive tri-capsule technology. Yeti mic offers high-quality studio recordings, pristine with renowned simplicity.
It has four diverse pattern locations which provide incredible flexibility so you can record vocals for podcasts, music, YouTube videos, Twitch streaming, or even cryptozoology speeches in techniques that would usually necessitate different microphones. If you are recording while traveling or at home, Blue Yeti will always help you offer studio-quality recordings.
Features and Specifications of Blue Yeti Microphone
- It consists of a Tri-capsule array – 3 condenser capsules and can record almost in all situations, it helps capture sound with detail and articulation.
- Blue yeti has various pattern selection – stereo, cardioid, omnidirectional and bidirectional.
- Designed with a switch button, a control for gain, with no latency headphone output.
- It is perfect for podcasting, vocals, consultations, field recordings, conference recordings, musical instruments, voiceovers. Signal to Noise: 100dB 7
Pros of Blue Yeti Microphone.
- It has an analog XLR connection for application with pro-studio gear.
- Designed with mac and PC drivers for easy recording with your favorite software.
- Has multiple recording patterns.
- It produces tremendous sound quality
- Designed with plug and play no installation is required
- It is easy to set up with the desktop stand or connect a link to a microphone stand.
- Low noise
- Excellent dynamic range.
Cons of Blue Yeti Microphone
- It has no multi head set up.
- Blue Yeti Microphone tends to be heavy you will need a good stand if you are going to use it that way.
2) Blue Snowball iCE – USB Mic
Snowball iCE is the easiest and fastest mic for attaining high-quality sound, especially for streaming and recording. The microphone is powered by a custom cardioid condenser capsule and thus produces clear sound quality that’s light-years ahead of most inbuilt computer microphones.
It’s even Discord and skype proficient, which assures high-quality sound outcomes no matter the situation you are using it, at the office or at home. If you are looking for a multiple microphone pattern, of course, the Snowball is worth only a little more money and has most of the similar basic features.
Features and Specifications of Blue Snowball iCE
- Designed with custom condenser capsule which delivers a clear sound for Messages, FaceTime and skype.
- It is effective for recording vocals, creating podcasts, and adding narration to home videos.
- Proficient for adding clear sound to a recording for YouTube videos.
- Blue Snowball iCE is an easy plug and play directly to the PC or Mac—no drivers are needed for installation.
- Snowball iCE microphone is a USB 2.0 system (USB 3.0 well-suited based on USB 3.0 backward compatible description).
Pros of Blue Snowball iCE
- Snowball iCE is Affordable- a reasonable price compared to its sound quality.
- It offers crisp audio in a cardioid recording pattern.
- Does not require DSP means pure signal.
- It is easy to set and use, Plug-and-play.
- Sound quality- has good audio quality, Blue Snowball iCE is professionally designed to produce high-quality recordings.
- Blue Snowball iCE is compatible with pc, windows 10 and mac
Cons of Blue Snowball iCE
- It has only 44.1 kHz/16 bit.
- Mic stand does not angle high enough for suitable mouth alignment.
3) Samson Go Mic – Sleek and Elegant Design
Samson Go Mic is designed in a custom compact design, it can be clipped appropriately onto your computer or sit modestly on the desk. It has a Plug and Play features which means it is wholly compatible with a PC or Mac, and does not require drivers.
It is ideal for recording podcasts, music or field recordings, and the Go Microphone variety of operation ranges beyond distinctive USB mics. It also offers an excellent for voice identification software, webcasting, iChat and also Voice over Internet Protocol.
Samson Mic is designed with a switchable cardioid and omnidirectional pickup patterns, which allows the user to pick any pattern that is more suitable for a particular situation. In addition has an outstanding frequency response of 18kHz-20kHz and a resolution of 16-bit, 44.1kHz, you can be guaranteed you are acquiring proficient sound specs in a different purpose and compact design.
Features and Specifications of Samson Go Mic
- Portable and compatible USB studio condenser mic.
- Designed in an exceptional, fold-up structure consisting of an important clip that makes the mic tremendously transferrable and perfect for most recording settings, particularly for mobile laptop recordings.
- Consists of Dual pickup patterns (omnidirectional and cardioid) that make it perfect for conferences, voice recording, audio instruments and suitable for any other sound source.
- Built with an onboard headphone amplifier which enables the user to listen to a recording directly from the mic, and also can be used in the output to link to power-driven speakers.
- Designed with a computer monitored analog input which consists of a peak LED the reason why it is simple to set the appropriate level and get a clear signal.
- Samson Go Microphone is compatible with most PC and Mac according to the audio software that supports USB Audio.
- It can be connected to an iOS device using an Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter (which is not included) or to an Android device with a host OTG Adapter (not included)
- It is perfect for recording music or voice, streaming podcasting or VoIP and chatting
Pros of Samson Go Mic
- Produces a clear solid signal.
- It comes with a versatile stand which can be clipped to laptops, used as a desktop stand, or mounted to mic stands
- Samson Go Mic designed in a good size for portability.
- Easy to set and use
- Produces high-quality recordings and easy plug and play set up.
- No set up or compatibility difficulties.
Cons of Samson Go Mic
- It has no gain knob.
- Easy to get pop sounds, particularly given the lack of DSP, they affect the outcome of the recordings.
4) Samson Meteor Mic – Desktop and Foldable
Samson Meteor Microphone is widely known for music recordings using a computer. Effective for a home-based studios, Samson Meteor Microphone is also perfect for skype or voice identification software.
Using a Meteor Microphone, you can create implausible recordings. It produces rich audio recordings for various uses, Meteor Microphone consists of one of the biggest condenser diaphragms (25mm) of most USB microphone existing.
Designed with a cardioid pickup pattern and a smooth frequency response and offers you professional recordings outcomes no matter where you are recording at.
Features and Specifications Samson Meteor
- Designed with a Professional USB microphone that has a 1″ Studio-quality Capsule.
- Structured with fold-back handles that offer an ideal microphone set up and easy to fold for portability.
- Consists a Cardioid pickup pattern that taps the Audio nearby the microphone, curtailing ambient noise from disrupting the recordings.
- Structured in a flat frequency response of 20 Hz–20 kHz, smooth captures the detail of the user voice or instrument.
- Samson Meteor has 1/8″ Stereo headphone output which has a level control for zero-latency supervision.
- It is built with a Zinc die-cast in a chrome-plated finish.
- It has a 25mm diaphragm USB.
- Functions with iPad using Camera Connection Kit (30-pin) or Apple’s Lightning USB Camera Adapter.
Pros of Samson Meteor
- It is convenient and portable –folds up easily on go solutions.
- It is simple to set up and use- you just have to plug.
- Samson Meteor plugs directly into most of the computers with a USB input, it does not require drivers.
- Monitors with no latency and background noise.
- It can function efficiently in many computer-based digital sound workstation software.
- Designed to give a flat frequency response of 20Hz–20 kHz which is always smooth.
- It comes with a stereo 1/8″ headphone jack with no latency supervision.
- Designed in a Fold-back structure that enables an optimal mic setting
- It has a durable chrome-plated design.
- The mic comes with a USB cable and a bag.
Cons of Samson Meteor
- It takes a while for it to be identified by the computer. This seems to be a common problem with the low budget Samson microphones – Go Mic, Meteorite and Meteor.
- There is no gain adjustment on the mic.
5) Blue Snowflake – Ideal For Traveling
Snowflake is a moveable high-quality condenser microphone that allows the user to capture high-quality audio at any setting or situation. It comprises a precision-tuned capsule, custom onboard preamp, and a digital converter to make sure it delivers optimum performance.
It’s ultra-compact structure offers the user the freedom of pristine audio on the go.
The Blue Snowflake is a portable and compact USB microphone perfect for traveling. Whether you are a roving podcaster, or you are interested in doing an adding narration to your home movies and videos, the Blue Snowflake delivers professional-quality outcomes at an extremely affordable price.
The microphone capsule can be folded into a compact case, which can house the included USB cable. This is what makes it easy for storage in a laptop bag, or even in a user’s pocket. When unfolded, the case functions as a laptop clip or desktop stand.
The Blue Snowflake has a plug and play compatibility with both Windows and Mac computers, it does not require installation of drivers. You just have to plug it in and you are up and running
Specifications and Features of Blue Snowflake
- It is a well-designed portable high-quality condenser microphone that allows the user to record high-quality audio at any location.
- Professionally designed in an Ultra-compact that offers the user the freedom of pristine sound while using.
- Comes with a proprietary preamp and digital converter
- Consists of Plug-and-play features that do not require drivers
- Compactible and portable
- Produces a Professional-quality sound
- Mac and Windows compatible
- Blue Snowflake is good and works efficiently for both desktops and laptops.
Pros of Blue Snowflake
- Compactible- It is an ideal microphone for life on the road, the Blue Snowflake has a compactible structure that without difficulty fits into a laptop bag.
- Offers Professional quality audio The perfect microphone for, musicians, podcasters or editing movies, the Snowflake provides you studio-quality recordings at an affordable price
- The Snowflake is compatible to your Windows or Mac computer while the USB cable is included, and does not require drivers. You just have to plug the microphone in and you are ready to start recording.
- Versatile- When unfolded, the Blue Snowflake can be positioned in a desk, or clipped to a computer. It does not matter the type of computer you are using, you can easily record with the Blue Snowflake.
- Stylish- It is not only functional, but the Blue Snowflake also has a stylish design that you will be proud to display next to a computer or laptop.
- It can stand up by itself, you can clip it on your laptop screen or position it on a table.
Cons of Blue Snowflake
- This microphone does not function well with windows 8.1 if you use both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports on some Intel designed Motherboards. There is a huge difficulty where it cannot even be installed using drivers or won’t even recognize the microphone. The blue company stated that they can’t update the firmware in this microphone to fix it.
Our Take: After our testing, it was evident that the Blue Yeti the ultimate best microphone for the computer. This condenser mic produces high-quality sound in various environments. It offers one the option of choosing their pattern mode depending on the direction of the sound to be recorded from 1, 2, or multidirectional sources. The other microphones are good too since they defeated hundreds of mics to appear in our top listing. Some of the microphones have some unique adaptabilities such as the Blue Snowflake is ideal for traveling due to its foldability and durability built features. Grab one of the mics and be sure to get good results.