You are probably looking for a lavalier microphone that is convenient for use in either public speaking, theatre, television or other similar applications.
Lavalier mics are very convenient because they allow hands-free operations. They mostly come with small clips for attaching to a user’s clothing such as collars and ties. They are effective in improving the sound quality of the speaker.
The cables for the mics can be concealed in clothing and run to a radio frequency transmitter which can be pocketed attached to a belt. The cables can also be channeled directly to the mixer or a recording device.
Knowing the versatility of a lavalier microphone is paramount. Some have developed a connector system that offers seamless integration between the lavalier and wide range of wireless systems as well as console, portable decoders and cameras.
The following are the best lavalier microphones.
Best Lavalier Microphone
Our Top Pick – Audio-Technica ATW-2129AD 2000 Series
After hours and hours of research and testing, the Audio-Technica ATW-2129AD 2000 series wireless lavalier mic emerged the best.
It is a professionally built and high-quality wireless system that delivers top-notch sound.
Some of its unique features include the switchable antenna power and two available frequency bands.
This wireless system has a 10-channel frequency which is suitable for various applications from public addresses, live performance, places of worship, and A/V rental houses. It is quite pricey but worth every buck.
MicrophonAudio Technica is well designed to be effective for various uses, such as live performances, public speeches, fixed installations and worship places. It delivers all the benefits of a high-quality, proficient wireless microphone at a reasonable price.
Designed with a button antenna power. Additionally has an elective ATW-CHG2 two-bay recharge station offers power to charge NiMH series in two ATW-T210a body-pack receivers or ATW-T220a handheld receivers in all combinations.
This microphone offers ten channels to select from and genuine Diversity UHF wireless, the 2000 Series designed with an automatic frequencies scan. When you press the button, it intelligently identifies and cliques the most accessible frequency.
Almost all of the 2000 Series’ 10 channels might be applied together with no frequency organization challenges or group selectable difficulties. It also combines sound Technica audio tone lock squelch combined with an easy to read LCD data display.
The results of our in-depth review showed that this is the best lavalier mic.
Features and Specifications of Audio-Technica ATW-2129AD 2000 Series
- It has an automatic frequency scanning capability
- Designed to be ten compatible user channels that can be switched in one of two UHF frequencies range.
- It comes with an ATW-T210A UniPak and ATW-R2100a receiver Microphone System transmitter together with AT829cW lavalier mic
- Audio Technica D Band Frequency of 656.125-678.500 MHz (TV 45-48)
Pros of Audio-Technica ATW-2129AD 2000 Series
- It is an affordable professional wireless microphone
- Delivers a clear rock-solid sound quality, reliable performance
- It has an automatic frequency scan.
Cons of Lavalier Audio-Technica ATW-2129AD 2000 Series
- Audio-Technica may not work effectively in some of the audio systems
It is a small omnidirectional clip-on mic well designed for vocal and speech uses. It delivers high speech intelligibility. It comes with a Mini jack for bodypack transmitters from evolution wireless series.
It is available in black, the ME 2-II from Sennheiser is an omnidirectional lavalier mic structured for vocals and speeches.
It is designed with concepts found in the initial ME-2 and advances them, concentrating the frequency response and providing complete compatibility with digital RF-transmission devices, where the ME-2 offers a frequency response of 20 kHz to 30 kHz, this reiteration lessens the range from 50 Hz to 18 kHz.
The focusing permits the capsule to improve on suitable tones, reducing the capturing of frequencies intensely high and unnecessarily low in the context of speech recording.
Furthermore, this microphone is designed with a lighter-weight housing which is comparable to the original, and also an advanced clip and a unified windscreen. A cable which is 5.2′ long offers a suitable slack for almost all situations, at the end of which there is a locking 3.5mm Sennheiser-style connector for compatible devices, such as XS wireless, XS wireless 1, AVX and more.
Features and Specifications of Sennheiser ME 2
- It has an operating voltage (stand-alone) of 7.5 V
- ME 2 has an equivalent noise level of 36 dB for Sennheiser Transmitters
- ME 2 is designed with a Locking 3.5mm Connector
- Features an Omnidirectional Pickup Patter- it is an omnidirectional microphone.
- Lighter-Weight Housing over ME 2
- Structured with an Integrated Windscreen
- It is fully compatible with Digital RF devices.
- Has a Frequency Response of 50 Hz to 18 kHz
- It comes with a Cable which is 5.2′ long.
- Threaded 3.5mm EW Connection
- It is proficient in XS Wireless 1, AVX and other systems.
Pros of Sennheiser ME 2
- Offers a high speech and vocal intelligibility
- It comes with a clip for easy attachment on the user’s clothing.
- It is compatible with most systems such as mini-jack for bodypack transmitters from evolution wireless series such as Speech Line Digital Wireless, AVX, XS Wireless
- The Sennheiser ME 2-II is fully compatible with digital RF systems, such as the SpeechLine Digital Wireless system.
- It is designed in an improved quality over the Original ME
Cons of Sennheiser ME 2
The Sennheiser ME-2 could introduce noise interruptions if the transmit antenna and capsule are over 7.9” from one another.
Hotec is a well-designed UHF wireless headset microphone that offers a warm and clear vocal sound. It functions efficiently with any PA, mixer, amplifier, loudspeaker or karaoke machine that has a microphone input and microphone volume control.
It comes with a dual bodypack transmitter, a portable receiver, dual lapel microphones and dual headset microphones. It is an ideal lavalier microphone for people starting out on YouTube, students and other live events.
Features and Specifications Hotec Wireless System with dual headset Microphone
- Hotec has a Wireless receiver with universal 1/4” plug functions effectively with PA speakers mixers, karaoke machines w/ 1/4 MIC IN for audio amplifying and smartphones, cameras, laptops for recordings.
- It offers a clear sound quality it is a dual wireless lavalier mic system that delivers high-quality audio transmission and clear sound at functioning at a range up to 100ft in the line of sight with no distortion nor feedback.
- It has Plug and Play features, rechargeable batteries as a power source, the user only needs to select the collar or the headset microphone and plug it into the mic socket of the transmitter, switch on and you are ready for recordings.
- Features 2 selectable UHF frequencies for every channel, not predisposed to electric devices interference and delivers stable signal transmission and permits various sets functioning together with no interference.
- It is ideal for live performance such as a church, weddings, demonstrations, school dramas, public speeches, trainings, interviews or audio and video recording.
Pros of Hotec Wireless System with dual headset Microphones
- Easy to use plug and play features
- Delivers clear sound quality
- Multi-purpose applications
Cons of Hotec Wireless System with dual headset Microphones
- Hotec is not designed with a built-in speaker, users must have an external audio device for sound output.
- This product is not recommendable for use in a MacBook.
Sony ECM-77B is a miniature omnidirectional lavalier mic well-designed for high-quality broadcasts, recording uses and sound reinforcement.
The microphone condenser features are structured with a miniature profile making it possible for it to be easily concealed in performances and broadcast events. The omnidirectional pattern offers sensitivity response and even frequency at the direct and off-axis elements of the mic capsule.
Features and Specifications of Sony ECM77B Electret Condenser Lavalier Microphone
- It is a hands-free microphone- As a lapel mic, the ECM-77B is an alternative to the traditional handheld microphone and being hands-free makes it possible for the user to concentrate on his or her performance
- It has an omnidirectional directivity
- Dynamic range – 90dB or more
- Two-way powering system-Connector- B model supplied with XLR 3-12C male in power supply equipment or single AA size battery.
- It comes with a mic cable 9.8 feet/3
- High-performance frequency response 40-20,000 Hz.
- It is professionally designed with a capsule type electret condenser
- The frequency response of 40 kHz to 20 kHz
Pros of Sony ECM77B Electret Condenser Lavalier Microphone
- EM 2 is easy to operate.
- EM 2 microphone is widely known in TV productions this means that most sound people are accustomed to using the microphone.
- Sony ECM77B electret condenser lavalier is a hands-free microphone- permits the user to concentrate on his or her recording/ performance.
- Dual power- it can be powered by either an AA alkaline battery or a 48-volt phantom source.
- Standard XLR connection-it is accessible in a variety of connections, designed in an XLR male connection.
- It is an ideal microphone for television applications, Omni-Directional Electret Condenser Mic is a miniature lavalier mic well-designed to be discreet.
Cons of Sony ECM77B Electret Condenser Lavalier Microphone
- Sony ECM77B Electret Condenser Lavalier microphone tends to be expensive than other lavalier microphones
This is a Micro Portable Audio Recorder with LavalierMic, which can be used for recordings full-resolution speeches and dialogues while avoiding the challenges of long cables and evading the difficulties of designing a wireless mic system.
When the microphone is used with an omnidirectional lavalier microphone or connected the most suited lavalier to the Sennheiser compatibility microphone input, the whole system can be inconspicuously attached to the audio source.
An over 2 x 2 inches (which is only 1-inch deep), the DR-10L is perfect for interviews, videography, vlogs, marriages, lectures and weddings where the sound unit is required to stay out of sight.
Features and Specifications of Tascam DR- 10L
- It is an ideal microphone for weddings, vlogs, Videography, Interviews,
- Tascam DR-10L is an Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
- Designed with a Limiter & Auto-Level Prevent Distortion
- 44.1kHz/48kHz, 16/24-bit Linear PCM mono/poly recording
- It is compatible with the BWF format and also supports WAV format.
- Media: SDHC and micro SD cards it supports 32Gbcapacities.
- Lavalier mic with windscreen and microphone included the cable length is 160cm.
- It can record up to 10 hours on one AAA battery
- Designed with a free full version of RX7 features, iZotope’s groundbreaking vocal repair, and noise lessening device.
Pros of Tascam DR- 10L
- It has an adjustable recording level
- Tascam DR-10L has an inbuilt clock and functions in recording to BWF format, which has time data for better editing.
- Creates poly or mono WAV files.
- Low cut filter lessens rumble
- It is much easier to read OLED display
- Operates for more than 10 hours continuously
Cons of Tascam DR-10L
- Tascam DR-10L can be a little noisy
Rode smartLav+ is a lavalier mic designed for use in Android or Apple mobile devices that are built to offer high-quality sound recordings. SmartLav+ is clipped on the user clothing or lapel, and the delicate, omnidirectional features that trap audio similarly from all sides of the mic. This model makes it possible for the efficient, hands-free recording of interviews, dialogues, dictations, and more.
The smartLav+ is designed with a Kevlar-reinforced cable that is usually strain tested up to 10kg to make sure it is reliable while working. It applies a grey-sleeved TRRS connector to link into user tablets or smartphone headphone input and it functions with many sound recording applications.
Features and Specifications of Rode smartLav+ Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
- Has a Clip-On Mic for Android or iPhone.
- It has an Improved Signal-to-Noise and sensitivity
- Delivers quality recording to your android or apple phone
- It offers professional-grade Lavalier Microphone, broadcast-quality with TRRS Jack
- Designed with a High-quality omnidirectional condenser capsule; discrete 4.5mm miniature mic.
- smartLav+ has a Kevlar secure cable that safeguards the user to never stretch or snap microphone on normal uses situations with Rode Rec App for Apple iOS.
Pros of Rode smartLav+ Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
- Functions effectively with any audio application that record using the headset input
- It allows the user to record, publish and edit the sound with Rode Rec App for Apple phones.
- Designed professionally to Foam pop protection which softens vocal plosives and wind distractions.
- It has a Microphone clip with cable supervision comprised for precisely safeguarding mic to clothing
- It comes with a small pouch for transport and storage
- It can be Combined with SC3 adapter to function efficiently in TRS systems.
- Combined with SC6 dual TRRS input adapter to be used in two smartLav+ with phones.
Cons of Rode smartLav+ Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone
- SmartLav+ to work effectively you are required to download Rode’s app.
- The apps constantly freeze and it is challenging to manage when the user is in front of a camera juggling a bunch of things.
It was evident beyond any reasonable doubt that the Audio-Technica ATW-2129AD 2000 Series is the best lavalier microphone today. It can be categorized as an expensive mic but its build and sound quality are worth it.
The manufacturers really took their time to design and build this mic. We have since been using it as our go to lavalier microphone. It comes in handy when we need something to conceal in our clothes when doing recordings.
The Sony ECM-77B Electret Condenser Lavalier Microphone is a great mic too but more affordable.
It is small, rugged, delivers great sound and easy to maintain. It is an omnidirectional mic. It is designed to blend into clothes. It works with either an AA battery or phantom power which gives it flexibility. In addition, the mic has an XLR connector.
The Tascam DR-10L is the other good choice for video content creators who use entry level cameras. Such cameras do offer both a mic input and headphone output. If you operate the camera alone without the help to operate an external recorder then the Tascam is the ideal choice for you. This lavalier mic comes with a digital audio recorder that is highly portable for everyday use.
These are some of the top lavalier microphones that made it to our top listing after evaluating tens of models. Depending on your needs and budget, if you pick any of the above choices you are definitely going to be impressed. Grab yours and capture that crisp sound